RCIA Network of England & Walessupporting the journey of faith
Seeking the Living God
Resources for RCIA teams
The rite of Christian initiation presented here is designed for adults who, after hearing the mystery of Christ proclaimed, consciously and freely seek the living God and enter the way of faith and conversion as the Holy Spirit opens their hearts. By God’s help they will be strengthened spiritually during their preparation and at the proper time will receive the sacraments fruitfully. [RCIA 1]
Members of the RCIA Network having been working on a series of study material for parish RCIA teams. The intention is to deepen a team’s knowledge of the Rite and to develop good practice. The material uses a consistent process based on scripture and Church documents. It is hoped to provide a comprehensive resource that covers many aspects of the Rite and parish practice. Though each of the sessions can be used individually it would also be possible to create more sustained formation by exploring a number of sessions.
Seeking the Living God has been developed by practitioners but we would welcome feedback on how people have used them, what they found useful and if they have any suggestions for improvement.
The notes provide a background to the whole resource and information for leaders about the sessions.
- Introductory Notes (pdf)
For each session there is:
- Participants’ copy
- Leader’s copy — this incorporates material to help the leader prepare and lead the session.
- Prior Reading — if desired, a separate sheet with quotations to help people prepare for the session. This material is also included in the Leader’s and Participants’ copies.
- What is RCIA? An Overview
- Exploring the differences between periods
- The Purpose of Catechesis
- The Place of Catechesis in RCIA
- The Place of Liturgy in RCIA
- A6 Place of Scripture (pdf)
- The Place of Prayer in RCIA
- Discernment in RCIA
- Pre-Catechumenate and Evangelisation
- Catechumenate: an Overview
- The Four Dynamics of the Catechumenate
- Catechumenate and the Liturgical Year
- Liturgical Catechesis
- Prayer in the Catechumenate
- C6 Catechesis using the Lectionary (pdf)
- Liturgies with the Catechumenate
- Discernment: during the Catechumenate
- Discernment: prior to the Rite of Election
- Accompanying the Journey with Catechumens
- Dismissal Catechesis
- Year-long Catechumenate
- Rite of Election
- Period of Purification & Enlightenment
- Sacraments of Initiation
- Roles in RCIA
- Adaptation of RCIA
- Christian Initiation of Children of Catechetical Age
- Reception of the Baptised
- Evaluating and Using Resources