It is that time again. For the next three weeks the elect will celebrate the scrutinies. They are not the only ones who need preparation. Because this third period of purification and enlightenment comes around just once a year ( generally), it is easy to find that with everything else that is going on, that it doesn’t get the preparation that it warrants. But one way of preparing early is to begin now for the next year.
- Evaluate each stage
- Eg Preparation:–
- Of the team
- The elect
- The celebrant
- Readers (impact on reading the intercessions)
- Liturgy team
- The assembly
- The rite:-
- Who discerns which exorcism will be appropriate, are adaptations needed?
- Who discusses it with the celebrant, gets them to read the rite in good time?
- What time is allowed to respond to questions, discussion by the elect, open up their understanding of the Mystery of sin?
- The team
- Find time to get the feedback of what worked well, what needs to be looked at for future years, or ideas that arise on the day.
- Record them and refer to them in a future team meeting. They will form the preparation outline for the next year.
Have a look at the rite RCIA 128-133 and experience the greater understanding of the Mystery of sin that underlies this period.
- If you have candidates being received into Full Reception with the Catholic church at the Easter Vigil, do read the rite before you include them in the scrutinies. Scrutinies really do not work with the already baptised.